Thursday, August 19, 2010

Time to learn

We only really learn something when we need to learn it! Without motivation there is a lack of concentration and attention and poor quality learning takes place. I had been shown how to use the little tractor before I bought my new property but the learning was not a priority at the time. I am a bit scared of tractors due to past experiences with tractors, snow blowers and snow covered ditches in Canada. However, now I need to be able to confidently drive this one as it has a lawn mower on it.

So early this morning I had a lesson in tractor driving. As a coach it was a good reminder about how ones perception of something and actual reality tend to differ. I was fine while the tractor was not turned on. Then I felt an instantaneous adrenalin rush as the tractor cranked into action. My 'trainer' and neighbour Philip, who works with tractors and tractor owners of all sizes and ages, just carried on starting and stopping the tractor quite unperturbed by its noise, smell and extrusions of smoke. My fear did not last long - just long enough to remind me that riders have the same fears - whether justified or not.   An unemotional coach is a wonderful thing in times of stress. The other aspect that interested me was his patience. It did not worry him how long it took for me to understand and feel confident to drive the tractor in and out of the shed. He was only interested in knowing that I knew exactly how to do it in a safe and confident way - and that I was going to remember how to do it next time.

When we teach horses we need to have the same attitude. It does not matter how long the learning takes. What is important is the quality of the learning. If learning takes a little longer than was anticipated does it matter? No - it is only the permanent result that counts. Correct methodology and confidence is everything. A big responsibility for coaches and those who train horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment